Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Department of Surgery’s DEI efforts and initiatives
Year over year, the Department of Surgery’s DEI efforts continue to soar to new heights. Our thoughts and ideas have evolved into impactful initiatives. One of our key goals has been to embed the work of DEI into the routine day-in, day-out activities of our department, across all our missions.
To bring that to fruition, our DEI Steering Committee and Subcommittees are producing transformative work that consistently enhances the culture of the department, and allows us to build better partnerships with our community and the patients we serve.
Department of Surgery DEI Perspectives: Get to Know Members of the DEI Steering Committee
In this video, you will get a candid glimpse of what we do and who we are as a department, and see how Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is a very significant aspect of Surgery’s mission. There is no one way to do (or come into) DEI work, so in this video you will get a chance to listen to the individual journeys of some of our DEI Steering Committee members.
The University of Chicago Department of Surgery is committed to addressing and eliminating discrimination in all forms within our department through continuous self-assessment, targeted programming, advocacy and creation of an increasingly diverse and culturally competent workforce by embedding diversity and inclusion as an integral component of surgical excellence. In doing so, we aim to remove barriers to healthcare access, to provide the best care for our community and to create an optimal and equitable environment to work, conduct research and train.
- We are committed to equitable treatment and eliminating discrimination in all its forms.
- We honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals.
- We recognize and respect the diversity of our patients, trainees and staff.
- We are committed to the dynamic process of confronting discrimination and racism in our department and community.
- We believe that a more diverse workforce is essential to treating a diverse community.
- Through efforts in diversity, equity and inclusion, we can remove barriers to healthcare access and enable our department to provide the best care for our community.
Chelsea Dorsey, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery
The DEI Steering Committee is spearheaded by vascular surgeon Chelsea Dorsey, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery, in her role as Vice-Chair of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the Department of Surgery. Dr. Dorsey is increasingly recognized as a critical institutional leader. Her ideas and approaches are being emulated by other departments as the BSD develops a more comprehensive, overarching strategy for DEI.